Welcome



Welcome to Hi-Lites, Atelier Emmanuel’s blog! Every month, learn about the latest news, events and promotions and discover our services and beauty experts. Throughout, we'll also be sprinkling tidbits about care, beauty, and trends in the beauty industry. Scroll through, and if there is anything you would like us to add, let us know!


Friday, September 21, 2012

Academy Photoshoot | Edgar


Atelier Emmanuel runs an Academy for our apprentices, a sort of post-graduate training in the Old World style. Before we took a Summer break, we decided it would be fun to organize a photoshoot for them. The apprentices were given little guidance, other than that the shoot would be indoors with a basic backdrop. We supplied the photographer. They came up with the concept, model, wardrobe, makeup and, most importantly, the hairstyle.


Edgar: I wanted to create a vintage style, like a 40's or 50's pin-up. I went with barrel curls for the bang and on the side temple areas. The toughest part of this hair style is to get the right proportions between the front and side curls. The sides have to be balanced to the bang, and all three curls have to fit the model's head. 




I was the first of the apprentices to turn in his idea and secure a model (I 'cheated' and used Meredith, our receptionist). Because of that I was able to schedule to be first to shoot. This gave me time to do a second look while the other shoots were going on. I pulled down the curls from the pinup look and created a finger wave that was still pinup, but also modern. This second look really played well with the highlights we had added to the Meredith's hair.



Overall an easy shoot. Meredith is good to collaborate with. She takes directions well and understands how to move with the camera. Because we work together, I was able to practice the style a couple of times beforehand so that on the day of shoot, styling went smoothly. Time management is key: I find that a big element to a successful session.

For a next photoshoot, I want to style both a male and female model for a couple's shoot. Probably still in a vintage style.

Hairstyling: Edgar Carubio
Makeup: Clifford Hashimoto
Photography: Tara Arrowood
Model: Meredith Harris


Edgar was a student of biochemistry, who realized his real calling as a hairstylist. He graduated from Skyline College of Cosmetology two years ago then began with a front desk position at our salon to get his foot in the door. Now a full time apprentice, Edgar is building his menu offerings for clients.

As part of the Academy programme, Edgar trains every Monday on cut, color, style and other hair services. To be a model, please contact us.


2 comments:

Manish Batra said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table, but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.
Airwave

Keep Posting:)

DailyNynews said...

Ssoleil-hair-straightener